Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree and be eligible for a valid California Clinical Laboratory Scientist Trainee license. If degree or course-work is in excess of 5 years, the applicant will be required to successfully update courses prior to the start of the program.
Minimum Course Requirements:
- Biological Science: Eighteen semester or equivalent quarter hours acceptable toward a major in biological science or medical technology, including a course in microbiology that includes bacteriology and courses in immunology, hematology and medical microbiology.
- Chemistry: Sixteen semester or equivalent quarter hours acceptable toward a major in chemistry or medical technology, including biochemistry and analytical chemistry (quantitative analysis).
- Mathematics: One college level course. Calculus or statistics is recommended.
- Physics: Three semester or equivalent quarter hours of physics, including instruction in principles of light and electricity.
- Graduates of a non-U.S. college or university must:
Possess a degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree in the U.S. and have at least 30 semester units in the upper division science courses at a U.S. college or university. They must also provide a complete transcript evaluation, including grades, by an approved agency such as the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). Contact their website at http://www.aacrao.org/
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency status in the U.S.
- A grade point average of at least 2.5 in the sciences courses.
- Ability to perform the Essential Functions (see download at the top of this page) - various physical and behavioral capabilities that are necessary for achievement of competency.
- A pre-training health assessment and background check are required by Eisenhower Medical Center prior to beginning the program.
Admission Selection Criteria
Applicants are prescreened using a point system based on grade point average, laboratory experience, education and letters of recommendation in order to determine the most qualified applicants. The highest scoring applicants are invited for an interview with the program director and facilitators. At the completion of all interviews, the overall points earned during the interview rank the applicants. The final selection of candidates is based on both the overall score and the interview score. Applicants with the highest scores are offered internships. Individuals selected for internship will be notified in writing with a written response of acceptance requested.
The Eisenhower Medical Center School of Medical Technology does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, color, age, disability, gender, medical condition, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, gender identity, political affiliation or otherwise defined by federal and state law.