Education & Support
Group education classes for individuals with diabetes and their significant others are offered frequently throughout the year. The series is certified diabetes education specialists and health care professionals with expertise in diabetes.
Topics Covered in Classes Include:
- Diabetes overview
- Stress and psychological adjustment
- Family involvement and social support
- Relationship between nutrition, exercise, medication, and blood glucose levels
- Monitoring and use of results
- Acute and chronic complications
- Foot, skin and dental care
- Goal setting
- Improving glucose control
- Use of health care systems and community resources
- Diabetes Tween/Teen Support Group:
Held monthly, this free group offers support to children of all ages with diabetes and their families. Call 760-861-8769 for information.
- Free Diabetes Education Classes and Support. See link on the right of this page. For information, call 760-773-1403.
Individual and Group Instruction
- For those who meet insurance requirements, counseling in nutrition, self blood glucose monitoring, insulin injection technique and all diabetes related topics are available for individuals and family members on a one-on-one basis. A Spanish-speaking educator is also available.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Additional individual nutrition counseling is available for insured clients.
- A physician referral is required.