Importance of Water to Your Health PL
Palm Springs Public Library Series
TU, Mar 20, 6 to 7 p.m.
Russell Grant, MD, Urgent Care Medicine/ Internal Medicine
760-969-7770, extension 7560
Great Living Starts Here Series LQ
Wednesdays, 1 to 2 p.m.
Mar 21: Dining Out While Slimming Down Read More
Mar 28: Catch Some Omega-3s
Apr 4: How to Choose Healthy Protein Read More
Apr 11: Calcium: The Bare Bones Read More
Eisenhower Medical Center Nutritionists
Replacements…Hip, Knee and Arthritic Joints AC
Healthy Night Out
W, Mar 21, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Sohail Ahmad, MD, Orthopedic Surgery
Blade Branham, Supervisor, Physical Therapy
760-568-1234; $8 for heart-healthy dinner, payment by Mar 16. Read More
Sex and Continence After Prostate or Bladder Cancer LC
Sponsored by Slate Pharmaceuticals
TH, Mar 22, 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Lance Patrick Walsh, PhD, MD, Urology
Complimentary dinner; reservations by Mar 21.
760-834-3687 Read More
Seniors and Depression AC
W, Mar 28, 1:30 to 3 p.m.
Anthony Bassanelli, MD, Psychiatrist
Sheda Heidarian, MD, Internal Medicine/Geriatric Medicine; Maura Fisher, MS, RN, Director and John Mann, LCSW, Center for Geropsychiatry
760-568-1234 Read More
The Year in Medicine: from Aspirin to Cancer Vaccines to Vitamin D LC
8th Annual Dr. Mark Moyad Community Lecture
TH, Mar 29, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
Mark Moyad, MD, MPH, Jenkins Director, University of Michigan
Consulting Director, Eisenhower Wellness Institute
760-834-3798; reservations by Mar 27. Read More
- Eisenhower Smilow Heart Center Team takes extraordinary measures
Darlene Beverage refers to her 80-year-old husband Jim as a combination of a Timex® watch and the Energizer® bunny because of the health challenges he’s been able to withstand and “keep on ticking.” Notably, due to blockages in his coronary arteries, he underwent a quadruple bypass at Eisenhower Medical Center in 2004, and he had a pacemaker implanted in April of 2011 to correct a sluggish heart rate. Plus, he has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). But things took a dramatic turn for the worse this past October. click for more
- ER Visit for Stroke Serendipitously Reveals Cancer
As 80-year-old Roy Jarvis returned to his Palm Desert home one evening in August 2011 and put his key into the front-door lock, the small bag of groceries in his left hand slipped out of his grasp and dropped to the steps. Thinking he simply didn’t have a good grip on the bag, he picked it up, went inside, fixed himself a light meal and sat down at his computer. click for more
- Looking for a no-impact, refreshing way to get fit? Consider the Masters Swim Program available through the Family YMCA of the Desert at the new Palm Desert Aquatic Center. Attracting both seasoned and recreational swimmers, the YMCA’s Masters Swim Program is designed to get people in the water for a wellplanned workout, and to have fun while doing it — in water that is a temperate 81 degrees. click for more
- The next time you find yourself dodging a bee, reflect upon the miracle of what this tiny creature produces. Once considered food for the gods, reserved for royalty and the rich, honey has crossed centuries of our imaginations and our taste buds.
How bees make honey is a rather straight forward but fascinating process. The bees gather nectar from a flower which mixes with enzymes in their saliva to make honey. Once the bees have returned to their hive, they deposit the substance into cells in the hive’s walls. Excess moisture is removed by the fluttering of the bees’ wings, making it ready for consumption. click for more
- 17th Annual Jim Cook Day of Hope for DiabetesFor 17 years, the Jim Cook Day of Hope for Diabetes® has educated thousands interested in learning more about a disease the World Health Organization has defined as an epidemic. On Saturday, March 17, 2012, the public is invited to attend this free event, sponsored by Eisenhower Medical Center and the Desert Diabetes Club. The Jim Cook Day of Hope for Diabetes, which includes a product fair showcasing the latest technology and treatments for persons with diabetes, will be held from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information about the Jim Cook Day of Hope for Diabetes or the Desert Diabetes Club, please visit emc.org/ddc. Read the Full Article
Open Houses at Eisenhower Health Center
Tuesday, April 3, 5:30 to 7 p.m.Eisenhower Health Center at Sunrise151 S. Sunrise Way, Palm Springs Thursday, April 5, 5:30 to 7 p.m. Eisenhower Health Center at Rimrock4791 E. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs
Free; open to the public; no reservations. Come... click for more