Find a Doctor
- After receiving his bachelor’s degree in psychology from Yale University, Charles (Charlie) Knoll, MD, went on to earn his medical degree from Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University. Dr. Knoll completed his residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
It was a biology teacher in high school who ignited Dr. Knoll’s interest in medicine. “The more I learned, the more I found a sense of wonder about the amazing complexity of the human body. I knew I wanted to be of service in whatever career I chose, and medicine was a natural fit.” While considering residency programs, Dr. Knoll read about Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation as a specialty and after a rotation in this area he was hooked.
It was the team-oriented approach to medicine that drew Dr. Knoll toward the specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. “In Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, you are meeting people during their life-changing events and possibly the most challenging experiences of their lives. I believe that people should have fulfilling lives, and I want to help people regain independence and take back control of their lives – to be part of that process is very rewarding and satisfying,” says Dr. Knoll. The interaction and consultation with other medical staff including nurses, therapists, case workers and other physicians, along with having the patient and their family as the center of the “team” is what keeps Dr. Knoll excited. “The patient has to believe they can meet their goals. We are here to support and encourage the patient by providing expertise to help them regain and attain a fulfilling life.”
A passionate sailor, Dr. Knoll spends his free time on the water.
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation*
- Virginia Commonweatlh Univ.- Medical College of Virginia
- George Washington University Medical Ce
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- American Board of Physical Medicine/Rehab
* Indicates Board Certified Specialty