Find a Doctor
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine/Infectious Diseases, Vallari Patel, MD, received her medical degree from Tulane University School of Public Health & Tropical Medicine. She attended the residency program in Internal Medicine at Harlem Hospital Center and completed her fellowship in Infectious Disease at Tulane University Hospital & Clinics.
“I was very sick as a child and through that experience gained a great appreciation for physicians and medicine. By the 7th grade I had determined I would pursue a career in medicine and the sciences,” states Dr. Patel.
It was while in her residency program that Dr. Patel was drawn to the specialty of infectious disease. “Infectious Disease captured my attention and most interested me because it can affect any and all parts of the body,” Dr. Patel states. “I knew I wanted to specialize in an area that encompassed the whole body system.”
“When treating an infectious disease, patients are often anxious and are seeking information. When approaching a patient after my assessment, I explain to the patient what I think is occurring and what I think we should do to treat the problem. But I am very mindful that the patient is part of the decision making; I put myself in the patient’s place – what would I expect? As a physician you have to see both sides.” states Dr. Patel.
- Infectious Disease*
- NHL Municipal Med Coll
- Tulane University School of Public Health & Tropical Medicine
- Aria Health
- Harlem Hospital Center
- Tulane University Hospital & Clinics
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of IM/Infectious Diseases
- Publication Date: May 22, 2017
* Indicates Board Certified Specialty