Family Medicine Residency Goals
The goal of the program is to provide an educational experience that prepares the resident to be a competent family physician capable of providing comprehensive and coordinated care to a broad range of patients and families. The resident’s educational experience emphasizes the competencies and skills needed to practice family medicine of high quality in the community, following the model of the Patient Centered Medical Home. Residents will become sufficiently familiar with the specialized fields of medicine to enable them to participate as team members in the care of patients with chronic and complex disorders.
Residents will work with other members of the health care team in both inpatient and ambulatory settings, learning to become competent as leaders in the organization and management of patient- and family-centered medical care.
Over the three years of training, residents will achieve competency in Patient Care, Medical Knowledge, Practice-based Learning and Improvement, Interpersonal and Communication Skills, Professionalism, and Systems-based Practice.
The mission of Eisenhower Medical Center, "to serve the changing healthcare needs of our region by providing excellence in patient care with supportive education and research," forms the foundation of the Family Medicine Residency’s mission and matches well the mission of the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, our academic affiliate: "to improve the quality of life for individuals and society by promoting health, preventing and curing disease."
Overall Educational Goals
- To be competent in the comprehensive care of patients with a broad range of medical conditions, across the spectrum of acute illness and chronic medical problems, as well as preventive health strategies
- To learn how to apply evidence-based, cost-conscious strategies to diagnosis anddisease management in patients, when hospitalized as well as in the continuity clinic setting
- To learn to function as a member of a multidisciplinary team within the Patient Centered Medical Home model, caring for patients in the hospital, the continuity clinic, nursing home and home settings
- To be able to participate in family meetings and be an effective communicator
- To have an understanding of utilization of resources and appropriate levels of care in acutely ill patientsTo understand the multiple factors involved in effective and successful discharge planning