- It never occurred to David Chook that he was having a heart attack. After all, he was only 49, ate fairly healthfully, never smoked, and was in decent shape. Okay…his cholesterol was a little high, and there was heart disease on his father’s side of... click for more
- Day of Hope for DiabetesSM is a major presentation of inspiration, education, and products for all who are concerned with diabetes and its complications. It is free and open to the public.
On our tenth anniversary, we have again raised the bar. As... click for more
- Parkinson’s support groups are available at Eisenhower. Following a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease, it is natural for individuals to experience a range of emotions that includes denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. These stages... click for more
- This year, an estimated 1.2 million Americans will have a heart attack, and nearly half a million of these people will die — that’s more than the number of annual deaths that would occur if two fully occupied 747 airliners crashed every day of the... click for more
To increase fiber, try a warm bowl of
Hearty Lentil Soup with crusty whole grain
bread and a salad of mixed greens.
What is metabolic syndrome?
Metabolic syndrome is a combination
of metabolic disorders that
increase your risk of... click for more
Even gardening can lower the level
of blood sugar in the body.
People who have diabetes are often
encouraged to exercise. There are
many benefits that can be realized
when one starts and stays on an exercise
program. However,... click for more
- If you haven’t visited Southern California’s very own island paradise, Catalina Island, lately, no problem — it hasn’t changed much. Of course, that is the charm of this island gem, located just 21 miles offshore.The beauty of Catalina never ceases... click for more
- If there is one quality that characterizes Dr. Khaldoun Alnabelsi — besides his skill as a physician specializing in endocrinology — it would surely be his passion for learning. It is a passion that extends from his medical education, to his... click for more
- It is estimated that as many as one in four Americans have a combination of metabolic disorders, known as metabolic syndrome, that increase their risk of heart disease, diabetes and stroke, and that approximately 40 percent of adults over age 40... click for more
- What a surprise to a fit, active, 49-year-old man when he suffers a heart attack. David Chook, the subject of our fascinating cover story, is a health care professional who was neither overweight nor hypertensive, but was stricken with heart... click for more
- For the estimated 13 million Americans who know they suffer from diabetes, there are millions more that are unaware they even have the disease or are at high risk for the disease. Identifying and alerting Valley residents of a potential risk for... click for more